2. Beat the butter and muscovado sugar together until light and fluffy. Lightly beat the eggs with a fork. Sift together the flour, baking powder and spices. Core and roughly chop the apples into small pieces.
3. Mix together the chopped apples with the sultanas or raisins.
4. Stir in the Auntie Val’s English Breakfast marmalade.
5. Add the beaten eggs a little at a time to the creamed butter and sugar (use a spoonful of flour if the mixture starts to curdle. Fold in the rest of the flour.
6. Stir in the fruit and marmalade mixture. Put the mix into a 20cm round cake time with removable base and lined with greaseproof paper.
7. Sprinkle a fine layer of Demerara sugar over the top.
8. Bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 mins. Check the cake is cooked by in- serting a skewer into the centre-it should come out damp but clean without any mixture sticking to it.